Last April I had the opportunity to speak on Hostelskills in Cracow
And somehow I have lost a track of time and totally forgot that it would be a good idea to share my presentation also in here.
The importance of keeping the staff motivated and happy should not be overlooked. As the motivated staff can influence and help to improve your sells, reviews and revenues.
I believe that motivated, good and happy staff is not only thanks to the payment that they receive. If you want to have your staff happy you should start from the beginning.
Formation: ‘There is no guest experience without the worker experience’
It might seem obvious. But in reality very often we eather forgot or do not have enough time to create a solid base.
Sometimes you hire a person due to its experience, another time because you like its vibe. Some people catch it faster and others not. In any case it doesn’t matter how much experience someone has or not. Every place has its own rules, tools and patterns of work. And it is worth to invest the time in a proper training of each person. If you give the proper base, later on you can demand from your team certain skills.
Why it is important to invest time in training your staff?
- the proper, solid formation can prevent the future problems with your staff
- you don’t loose time or money due to mistakes.
- untrained workers are inefficient ( It takes us longer to do the job, because we are not sure what we should do or we wait for the approval or for help )
- insufficient staff training means lost customer
How to make it easier (for you and for them)?
- Create a ‘training list’ where you point out the most important things that should be learned
- rules and procedures clear in order to prevent missinterpretation
- check lists and updated manuals
Once we create strong foundations we can expect from our staff to give the best performance. Without forgetting to constantly stimulate and motivate our team. In the next post I will share with you the ideas that might help you in that.