Working in hostels can be as much fun as tiring.
After all, customer service is quite demanding. Most of the people who work in the hospitality industry are travellers themselves. I’m convinced that each receptionist can share some interesting story from their work.
While I work, I always think that there are some things that I would just never do or rarely do when I’m on the other side- being a guest.
I have come up with a list of things that as a hostel worker, I never do when I travel and stay in hostels.
1.I don’t complain to the staff (and if I did, it was for a huge issue that was hard to ignore)
2. My first words, once I enter the hostel are never: ‘check-in’ or ‘what’s the WiFi password?’ Never saying anything at my arrival and only passing my passport to the staff
3. Never leave unwashed dishes in the communal kitchen
4. Never steal someone’s food from the fridge – this is a serious crime
5. Don’t change the bed that is assigned for me unless I ask before the reception staff if it is possible
6. In case there are many people at the front desk, I would never jump the queue. I just wait or come back in another time
7. Not being surprised if I need to have my own padlock to close the locker.
8. I never leave my personal things laying on the bed while I’m away – I lock them in the lockers
9. Never search for excuses, so I can get something for free
10. Never ask the staff for the directions while holding the phone with opened Google maps with the marked directions in hand
11. When I say I will leave a good review, I really mean it. I write it for real.
While I’m travelling and I’m converting into a guest I always try to treat everyone how I would love to be treated.
More importantly, there are some things that I want to feel when I stay in the hostels and other accommodations. I seek comfort (and this for all means something different), cleanliness and friendliness.
I consider myself a straightforward guest that sometimes turns a blind eye on some incommodities. As I sympathize with the staff, I know that there are no perfect places and that things get broken. Afterall hostel staff will not solve all my problems 😀