Note: this post might contain affiliate links
Being out there in the digital world is something obligatory to each business nowadays. And whether you like it or not if you want to be heard or noticed, you need to be at least on one social media channel.
Social media is the place to show off your property’s vibes. The times of beautiful, high-quality photos might not be completely over, but there’s lots of room for you, even if your hostel is not the instagramable dream.
How to become a savvy hotelier and nail your social media
As a hostel owner or manager, you already have too many things on your head. And of course, you could find some person to be your community manager and do this job for you, but that’s not in the budget of every property.
Social media marketing tips that will help you to organize yourself and your team:
- Every great business started with a plan. So do social marketing need a plan. Set your SMART goals and strategy, think about what you want to achieve, and be consistent in it. Being organized and working with a plan is a way to success.
- Choose one day a week, where you will always plan the posts for each of your social media channels – use the tools like Hootsuite in order to plan the time of posts on each SM. This will also help you not to be on your mobile all the time.
- You can also make a quarterly content plan and reserve one week every month to create content for the upcoming month.
- Less means More – it’s always better to have one social media but well managed rather than have tons of them poorly managed.
- You don’t need to be the master of Photoshop, neither a videomaker but if you want to create some graphics there are simple and easy tools to help you do that. Canva is one of them.
- If you don’t have time you can always add this task to your reception team during the shift – may be between your coworkers you have a person that really likes to play with social media.
- Follow your competition and other accommodations and brands. It’s not only a great way to check what they are doing but also to get inspired!
- Use hashtags and encourage your guests to tag your property on their photos. This way you will be more visible and easier to find.
- Use user-generated content. When your guests tag you don’t forget to thank them and share it on your social.
Listen, here is my favorite tip of all: forget about the numbers and have fun. I don’t mean tracking your progress is not important. It is because you will know what works and what now.
However, since you love your property, try to share that passion and love with others. Numbers will follow later.
Anyway, who cares if you have 100 followers or maybe 10,000. What counts is that your followers engage with you and truly love what you share with them.
You don’t need to be a social media specialist, since many things you will learn on the way. Internet is full of tools that can help you in editing, creating videos for you and many of them are for free. Try what is best for your property, experiment, and stay in touch with your community 🙂
Hostel’s social media accounts to steal (ehkem..inspire) from
This name sounds like fun! And its Instagram is fun.
Another Instagram profile that I love to see is the one that belongs to the Sant Jordi Hostels in Barcelona. The photos are inspiring and just make me want to discover the streets of Barcelona over and over again.
Both Instagram and Facebook profiles of Podstel are full of their day-to-day life in the hostel of Bucharest. And that’s the best of it: it is simple, funny and real. By following their profiles you can feel the passion for what they do 🙂
Facebook and Instagram full of people, people…and people. After all, this is what hostels are about, right?
Oh…just thinking about these hostels make me wanna pack my backpack and go there.
Managing your social media might seem overwhelming but it really doesn’t need to be. You can keep things simple, show the best of your hostel and the places around it. And don’t forget that’s it is all about people!
Did you found this post helpful? Share it!